- More than 16 million Americans are living with a disease caused by smoking.
- Smoking is the LEADING cause of preventable death in the United States.
- Smoking causes cancer, heart disease, stroke, lung diseases, diabetes, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- In 2014, more than $9 Billion was spent on advertising and promotion of cigarettes (that is $1 million an hour spent marketing cigarettes)
- Total economic cost of smoking in the United States is more than $300 billion EACH year.
- There is no risk-free level of secondhand smoke exposure
- Since 1964, approximately 2,500,000 nonsmokers have died from health problems caused by exposure to secondhand smoke.
- In adults, secondhand smoke causes heart disease, lung cancer, and stroke
- In children, secondhand smoke causes ear infections, more frequent and severe asthma attacks, respiratory symptoms, respiratory infections, a greater risk for sudden infant death syndrome
Facts Provided from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
Nebraska Tobacco Quitline
- 1.800.Quit.Now (1.800.784.8669)
- No Cost
- Available 24/7
- Personalized Quit Plan
Freedom From Smoking
- Small Group Setting at CHI Health – St. Francis Cancer Treatment Center in Grand Island
- Leading ccessation program for over 25 years
- 7 week class with 8 sessions
- View more information here