Kick the Habit
Even though tobacco is a powerful addiction, it is possible to quit. When you are ready to quit, we are here to help you take the next step.
Studies show that people who try to quit using tobacco products almost always do better if they receive help from others. Support from family and friends might not be enough.
Freedom From Smoking®
The leading smoking cessation program for over 25 years, the American Lung Association’s Freedom From Smoking® program shows you how to quit for good in a supportive, small group setting.
At this 7-week, 8-session program, you will receive a participant workbook, which covers topics like knowing if you’re ready to quit smoking, lifestyle changes, coping strategies, stress management tools, and preparing for Quit Day. Cost of the program is $25.00
Freedom From Smoking® is taught by American
Lung Association-trained instructors
Jenny Roush, BSE of the St. Francis Cancer Treatment Center and Seann Julian, RRT St. Francis Cardiac/ Pulmonary Rehabilitation Center. For more information, or to register, please contact Jenny at 398-8912.
Go Tobacco Free
- Remember – if you quit, you’ll live longer and stay healthier – and so will your family.
- The sooner a smoker quits, the more they can reduce their chances of getting cancer and other diseases.
- Quitting smoking is good for your self-esteem. You will no longer have to seek out a place to smoke; you won’t smell like cigarette smoke; and, you will not expose your family and friends to second-hand smoke.
About the St. Francis Cancer Treatment Center
The CHI Health St. Francis Cancer Treatment Center in Grand Island, Neb., is accredited by the Commission on Cancer from the American College of Surgeons with commendation for excelling in ever aspect of cancer care.
The Cancer Treatment Center offers medical and radiation oncology treatment, a dedicated pharmacy, clinical trials and a cancer rehabilitation team, all in one location – a convenience not typically found in other cancer centers.
The highly skilled team at the Cancer Treatment Center also offers certified genetics counseling, tobacco cessation classes, nurse navigation, survivorship services, an education library and educational seminars.
On the leading edge of cancer care, the Cancer Treatment Center was the first and only cancer program to receive both the Clinical Trials Participation Award and the Community Oncology Research Grant by the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) in 2010. In 2011, 2014 and 2016 the Cancer Treatment Center was again awarded for its excellence as a recipient of the Outstanding Achievement Award by the American College of Surgeons.
St. Francis Cancer Treatment Center has achieved the status of a Certified Quality Breast Cancer of Excellence, which is the highest level of recognition in the program. This is the second time our center has received this level.
St. Francis Cancer Treatment Center
2116 West Faidley Avenue
Grand Island, NE 68803
Tobacco Cessation Resources:
Nebraska Tobacco Quitline
- 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669)
- Sponsored by Department of Health and Human Services
- Telephone coaching, educational materials or referrals available
- Spanish language line also available
- No charge for services
American Lung Association
- Helpline and quitline – 800-586-4872; 7 days a week, 7am – 11pm CST
American Cancer Society
Freedom From Smoking Online
- An individual, web-based program available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Prescription assistance
- User-friendly information about quitting tobacco
- Forum, Blog, Community
- Comprehensive site with tools and educational topics
- Includes access to experts through telephone support
- Instant messaging with LiveHelp
- Receive information and advice about quitting smoking through real-time text messaging with a National Cancer Institute smoking cessation counselor
- A companion website to smokefree.gov geared especially toward women
- QuitTracker on Facebook is available as part of this site
- Quick facts, tips to quit, articles and links of interest
- Quit Smoking 101 – an email course
- Videos on tobacco topics
- Medical information and tools on numerous topics
- Search “tobacco cessation” to navigate to quit smoking products
- Tobacco basics, in-depth topics of interest
- Action plans for quitting
- Center for Disease Control website on various tobacco-related topics